With this ring...


When I was in my 30's I treated myself to a naval piercing. It was my only piercing other than ears, where I have two in each ear and at one time had a third in one ear (that one came out though, because it just wasn't comfortable). At any rate, I'm not sure why I got the piercing, except that it made me feel good and I loved it. So fast forward a few years to 36, the year my divorce became final, and I decided to remove the ring. I don't know why, though most likely I was so deeply depressed (and sick with Chiari) that I just didn't find joy in it anymore. Over the years the scar has always been there, a symbol perhaps of youth long gone, of a woman who wanted to be sexy, to live a little on the wild side, to be just a little different.

Yesterday I discovered that the piercing has never healed - i.e., it never closed. So just out of curiosity I dug out my old ring and, sure enough, it slipped right in. And I immediately lost the captive ball that keeps the ring in, so I had to stop by the tattoo shop to replace it. To my surprise, the several customers there were all women around my age - late 30's, early 40's. Some were getting tattoos, some were getting piercings.

So what motivates women my age to do such things? Women who have children, jobs, are probably at the midpoint of their lives? Is it an attempt to recapture our youth - our version of middle-aged men chasing 20-yr-olds, wearing too much cologne, way too tan, and too much gold? I don't think so, at least I hope not.

For me, this ring represents just a little of who I am. With this ring, I am a little daring, a little different, a little sassy, a lot independent. With this ring, I have a little secret that most don't know - that I am a woman of sensuality, joy, and surprise.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds