Middle school arrives

My Boy is no longer a baby, no longer in elementary school. He started 6th grade yesterday - officially a middle schooler, changing classes, changing teachers, the whole enchilada. He likes it so far; actually I think the changing may be good for him. He gets bored easily when not challenged, so the change of pace is helpful. I have battled for years with teachers who wouldn't let him draw in class - he needs to draw like mere mortal needs to breathe - and I'd try to tell them that he pays attention much better if they would let him draw. He can hear you while drawing, and actually often focuses much better. But sometimes Teacher has to learn the hard way. I often wanted to tell them that if they'd push him a little more, challenge him more, he wouldn't get distracted or bored and wouldn't need to draw. Anyway, off subject I guess.

So he gets up yesterday morning and just as we head out the door he just happens to mention "oh yeah, mom, we need to get me some new tennis shoes...these are too tight". Well of course. He's been in sandals all summer, so how would I know his tennies no longer fit? So off we go to the local shoe outlet to measure the foot, pick out shoes. So. Size 12. Men's. He's only 11. This time next year I'll only need to ask for the box, no shoe please. At least he doesn't have to have a wide width, thank goodness.

So next week the university comes to life. There's always something exciting about the start of fall semester. We'll get to hear from the new president and our new dean (my boss)and gear up for the students coming in the next week for the start of classes. Where did the summer go?

1 comments:

If it makes you feel any better I nearly brought your brother to tears when I cut Becca's hair last night for the first time. He came in and grabbed her up,"You're growing up to fast!" he told her as he hugged her tightly. My fear is that Middle school is just right around the corner for us too.

9:05 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds